Friday, February 21, 2020

Costumes and Props

Costume



Clothing

In female empowerment magazines, commonly seen are women wearing professional/formal attire, specifically blazers that range from being traditional to bright colors. The clothing is worn by the model(s) usually compliment the color scheme of the cover and can also set the theme and tone for the model's story. I think for my magazine, dressing in a majority of formal clothing will make the magazine seem too stiff. I might incorporate some aspects of formal clothing into my models, but I think I will go for more a casual and trendy look.
https://thefemalevisual.wordpress.com/the-status-quo/

https://www.lovehappensmag.com/
blog/2017/08/07/women-empowerment-sheryl-sandberg/


@elchocolategirl
I want to go for a more 'aesthetically modern' look that gives it a more familiar feeling. I want to incorporate different textures, such as velvet and satin and other combinations. I really like the look of nude/brown and rose colors, I think it brings out the warmth in the skin and compliments very well with sunlight. Patterns mixed with white/black and pastels also gives a flushed look. I want my models to have a range of dresses, tops, skirts, etc. mixed and matched together. 
@alyx-spencer
@lissyroddyy


Hair

In the magazines, the women usually have their hair down, whether it's straightened or natural. I was trying to find any sort of up-do hairstyle (which I found minimal of) or hair accessories, but they don't seem to be common. Since the hair definitely frames the face, I think this is why it is common to find hairstyles that drop down the sides of the face. 
https://twitter.com/theaffinitymag/status/685129781839552512
https://models.com/
work/numero-russia-numero
-russia-055-women-empowerment


For my magazine, I would like to incorporate the idea of keeping the models' natural hair type but add hair accessories (hair clips, headbands, punch clips, etc) to add an accent. I also want to incorporate headscarves and turbans, being a hijabi myself. Some of my friends are really excited about trying them on and I think it can add more substance to the magazine.
@indoanisa

@sherriesilver


















Jewelry

From the research that I have done, there is a vast range from types of jewelry to how much or little is placed. Many models have big statement earrings and or necklaces that may accentuate their outfit. A lot of the African-American models commonly share larger statement jewelry that highlights the culture. Other model examples also share large but modern accents, and some examples are more simple and ethereal. 
https://www.nationalwomenofcolor.com/women-lead-magazine


For my magazine, I want to use simple pieces of jewelry that doesn't take too much attention away from the models. I will most likely use dainty jewelry, it gives a delicate accent that can complement the outfits. I lean more towards that gold jewelry since it captures relays a message of status and luxury, I also think it flatters darker skin tones.                                           

https://www.bluboho.com/products/nova-necklace-14k-yellow-gold-white-diamond

Makeup

In the female empowerment magazines, there doesn't seem to be an exact rule or look regarding makeup. The majority of the makeup looks seem to be neutral, accentuating the model's natural features. I have seen lipstick/eyeshadow colors that correspond with a piece of clothing they're wearing. The face makeup is always dewy and/or natural-looking. 

https://mldigitalart.tumblr.com/
post/186662300607/miss-rizos-is-our-premiere-issue-cover-feature-for


http://euphoriquepr.com/talk-show-host-jo-maxwell-talks-womens-empowerment-career-more-in-flair-magazine


I want to incorporate the natural/neutral look, especially in the skin to give it the infamous "no-makeup makeup look." I like the dewy look which I can create with a bit of setting spray and highlighter. I do, however, want to incorporate current makeup trends, especially from Instagram. This includes bold eyebrows, metallic/colored liner, pop of color in the inner corner, and so many more. I love the look of simple eyes with a bold lip, it really puts out a statement.
@kyliejenner

@indoanisa

@hindash

Props

Props are not commonly used in this range of magazines. Since the focus is on the person, maybe including props would divert the attention. For my magazine's double-page spread, I am planning on doing on or two feature articles. For the features, I may or may not include props in the photos. If I do, the prop would wrap around the model but not take the detail away from the model. 



No comments:

Post a Comment